Peña Cortes Cow Cheese 600 grs
What do we find in this Peña Cortes cow cheese?
This artisan semi-cured cow cheese with Denomination of Origin Quesucos de Liebana made in the Peña Cortes Cheese Factory, Tanario town, in the heart of the Picos de Europa where, after generations of cheese tradition, the production of quesucos has been perfected. They are artisan cheeses with a smooth, buttery flavor and with a lactic touch , in the smoked ones the elegance of the smooth Natural Smoked predominates.
Main characteristics of Peña Cortes cow cheese
- Milk : cow.
- Texture : smooth and creamy
- Flavor : very smooth
- Shape : Cylindrical or discoidal, small in size ranging from 8 to 12 cm in diameter by 3 to 10 cm in height.
- Weight : Variable.
- Paste : Firm and compact with a slightly yellowish color. Characteristic aroma and flavor. It has some irregularly distributed holes. When the cheese is smoked, it acquires a typical smoke smell, color and flavor.
Protected Denomination of Origin Los Quesucos de Liébana
The Denomination of Origin Quesucos de Liébana is a cheese made with milk of the following species and races:
- Cattle : Tudanca, Parda Alpina and Frisona.
- Sheep : Lacha.
- Caprina : Pyrenean and Goat from the Picos de Europa.
The milk will be whole and clean, with a balanced composition in fat and protein, according to the different seasonal productive characteristics of their respective species. The livestock is fed by grazing, using the mountain pastures.
Despite having a very similar elaboration throughout the geographical area of the appellation of origin, the uniqueness of the smoked must be highlighted, which was originally produced exclusively in the ports of Aliva and today has moved rather to the Camaleño valley, especially in Brez and Tanarrio
Traditional and artisan recipe
Tradition explains that the custom of smoking comes from the need they had in the past to prevent the entry of the fly into the ripening caves, for which they made a bonfire at the entrance. In this way, the cheese was also smoked and they verified that its conservation was prolonged.
Cow's milk, rennet, calcium chloride, ferments, salt and preservative E-252